DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 08:26:56 -0700
From:
"[Jeffrey] [Jenkins]" <[log in to unmask]>
I guess I'll through my hat in the ring because.

For PCB Layout, I started with Protel on an etching machine and moved up to Board Station.  Then it was to Orcad layout and moved over to PADS for the past 12 years.  I touch PCAD and some others  (including film) during various conversion processes.

 I have opinions on all, they all have plus and minus.  Board Station required too many people to function, Orcad Layout was flakly but easy to use and worked with Orcad capture for x-probe.  PADS I like, but if you used it 10 years ago, you could pick it up very quickly, not a lot has changed until recently.  I can do 3D models based on it's outputs with it using Circuitworks for Solidworks and have been doing so since 2005.

For Schematics, I started with Orcad Capture and initiated a Orcad CIS system.  Then due to increased group size and attempts to unify design groups we decided to move to DxDesigner with DxDatabook to work across networks which at the time Orcad couldn't support.  Both are capable of doing the job, Orcad has a wider user base and more intuitive, but DxD is more customizable and  capable, if you need it.  I'd only do DXD again if we had a larger support staff (see next paragraph).

In regards to things that I look for in a tool, ease of setup, ease of deployment and ease of use are essential.  Why?  Because being the only ECAD person in my division,  it's my role to make the schematics systems function, layout systems work, train everyone and still somehow do schematics and layouts.  I feel that that more designers are having to pick up larger roles as companies have downsized and some cases deemed one person is the "goto" person for all things PCB related.  I'm unsure if others are seeing this trend.

After the ease of use, I'd say stability, support  from the vendor and support by outside design groups to be my next choices.

Best Regards

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey A. Jenkins CID+/CIT
Designer PCB Staff-CA || L-3  Linkabit || Ph: 858-552-9832 || [log in to unmask]

Quoting "Brooks, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>:

> What CAD tools do you use?
>

> Bill Brooks | Datron World Communications, Inc.
> PCB Designer/Engineer | Office: 760-602-7004| Fax: 760-597-3777 |
> 3055 Enterprise Court, Vista, CA 92081 | www.dtwc.com
>
> Performance You Require. Value You ExpectTM

> in the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF DesignerCouncil.
> To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
> DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL) For additional information, or contact
> Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or
> 847-615-7100 ext.2815

To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL) For additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-615-7100 ext.2815

CONFIDENTIALITY, EXPORT CONTROL AND DISCLAIMER NOTE: This e-mail and any attachments are solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. Any disclosure, use or distribution of the information contained herein is prohibited. In the event this e-mail contains technical data within the definition of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations or Export Administration Regulations, it is subject to the export control laws of the U.S. Government. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses as L-3 does not accept any liability associated with the transmission of this e-mail. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and any attachments.