TECHNET Archives

April 2012

From:
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:54:16 -0400
I support what Guy has said along with several other caveats based upon insert choice and application.

Ideally you want the insert on the opposite side of the board.  I'm assuming you are using this fastener strictly for mounting purposes.

PEM (Penn Engineering) used to make a special PCB clinch nut, but they have "discontinued" it unless you want to buy 10,000 pieces or more.  I was never happy with the insertion of these, may have been our lack of having the proper insert press.  Keystone makes an excellent insert for electrical connections.

Many of the hardware vendors make roll swage standoffs that we have found to be very good for assembly.  They are even better when we solder the roll form to the circuit board.  We have successfully used these for mounting and electrical connections.

The biggest consideration is what is the end use?  Are you mounting a small light weight SMT circuit board that is going to sit stationary in a doctor's office inside a piece of equipment or on a large 4 or 5 pound power converter board mounted on a spinning gantry producing 18 gs of force?

I'd be happy to share specifics off-line.

Regards,

Phil Nutting
Design for Manufacturing Engineer
Kaiser Systems, Inc.