TECHNET Archives

April 2012

From:
"Giamis, Andy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Giamis, Andy
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:21:59 -0500
Vladimir,
I refer to Sn-rich and Pb-rich phases in eutectic SnPb.  In cross-section showing a contact angle, the Sn-rich phase always leads the Pb-rich phase.  SnPb wets very well to Au or Ag.  If we eliminate any capillary action (as in solder flowing between plates), the leading edge of the Sn-phase on polished Au or Ag can approach zero - certainly below 5 degrees. If you add surface roughness, contamination, dust, oxides, or anything else, then the angle grows.

A simple measurement would be to take an Au-plated bare board, put it on a hot plate and lightly drop some very small drops of molten SnPb solder onto the surface.  If you are delicate and produce small drops (perhaps about 5 mm across, you should be able to assume spherical caps.  Measure the diameter and height of the drop.  From that, you can calculate contact angles for your surface.  I've done this with flip-chip underfills. It works remarkably well.

Regards,
Andy

Andrew C. Giamis
Andrew Solutions