TECHNET Archives

April 2012

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:02:45 -0400
Victor,
Calculating the mating area between the lead and the solder just requires a
little math.  You know the length and width of the flat part of the lead
parallel to the board pad. That is part one.  Measure from the tangent of
the lead at the bottom of the heel to the highest point that the solder goes
up the lead, get the curvature from the spec sheet and you know the lead
width. You now have part two.  Add them together.

At Nortel we did lead pulls for years.  We just carefully cut the body of
the component off at the point where the leads went into the component body
proper, bent down every other lead (or two out of three - depends on lead
size and pitch) and then used a Dage device with a very small tweezer
gripper.  We got statistically the same results as another site using an
Instron tensile tester.

Bev