TECHNET Archives

April 2012

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:47:22 -0400
Julie,

 Ok, Dollars to Doughnuts. Let's say I get some of the Kester 985M. What is the easiest way to test if heat deactivation is required?

 As someone who ran a wave machine for years I know darn well that there is a lot of flux that never gets near the wave. The foam and spray systems will get flux up on ICs and into connectors, everywhere. Preheaters I have used were always facing only the board bottom.

 I am going to follow up with Kester. I still question how much "Deactivation" can be accomplished with heat as so much flux goes into so many places. I still cannot believe this stuff requires heating to be as good as indicated on the data sheet, but I could be wrong. I think it comes in pens, I will get one.

Thanks again for your time.
Bob K.