TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:23:28 -0500
Hi David,

Sorry about not getting this posted earlier, but I have not been feeling
well today, and just got around to checking my email. I have your picture
posted now though:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/discolored_leads.jpg

I think what guy was referring to was a thread from a while back that I
started about a purplish tint that I saw with some SAC305 solder on a gold
plated board. Here was the picture:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/Trippy_Solder.jpg

George Wenger was interested in analyzing it for me, and this was his
report:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/FSC-5178.ppt

But what I see with your caps is different I think. The purplish tint that
you are seeing maybe some of same sort of oxide that was in the SAC305
solder that I saw, but I find it hard to believe that the manufacturer would
ship tantalum capacitors looking like that. I've seen many, many reels of
tantalum capacitors, and I can say that I've never seen them come from the
manufacturer looking like this. Do these happen to be Vishay?

One of the things that come to my mind is that these may be counterfeit.
They almost look like they've been pulled off boards. You say that they're
straight out of the manufacturer packaging, but where did you actually
purchase them from?

Just from the picture, I would be suspect of these parts...

Steve