TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
George Milad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:42:05 -0500
Thank you Roger for bringing up the topic of solution and  part agitation.
You are right, it is an area I should have addressed  in my last posting to
make it more complete.

There are 2 main paths to improve mass transfer and get  solution into a
high aspect ratio hole; chemical and mechanical.

Chemical is based on diffusion as ions are removed by plating  more ions
will migrate to the diluted area by diffusion; of course the rate of
diffusion has to match the rate of plating and hence plating longer at lower ASF
will always improve Cu thickness distribution in the hole.

Mechanical is based on solution agitation and part agitation,  solution
agitation is accomplished by air sparging or the use of e-ductors. The  design
and layout of e-ductors have to be optimized to support mass transport  thru
the hole. Part agitation is thru hole or knife edge, both improve mass
transport; thru hole is more commonly used.

Best Regards
George Milad
Nat'l Accts Mgr for Technology
Uyemura International  corp
516 901 3874

In a message dated 3/5/2012 6:26:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,