TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:38:44 -0400
I see the Conflict Minerals topic has generated a lot of response.  Some is speculation and some is true.  Here is what I know:

Legislation demanding that US based public companies report to the Securities and Exchange Commission where the source of their tin, tantalum, tungsten and gold come from. That is, not from rebel mines in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.  I didn't think the reporting structure was in place yet from the SEC (what WORSE Federal Government department to compile this listing?).  The legislation was an ammendment to the Dodd Frank Wall Street Reform Act of 2010.   I had understood that the SEC was still setting the reporting structure, but that is no reason companies cannot request the supply chain information right now.

IPC is heavily involved in the supply chain documentation for tin metal.  Only like 10% of the tin comes from Africa, but the source of all solder is going to eventually have to be reported!!  International Tin Research Institute (the same ITRI that helped push through Pb-free) is working also to help certify mines as non-conflict sources of new tin metal.  Imagine the problem in certifying solder that is recycled or reclaimed!!!

Tantalum capacitors, particularly in cell phones, have been the target of many "green"organizations - who promote the idea that cell phones help fund the war in Africa. Here is a site from Kemet (if it will open for you) that explains their process to get conflict-free tantalum:

http://mail.aol.com/35834-111/aol-6/en-us/suite.aspx

Also, I see that AVX is now shipping certified conflict-free tantalum capacitors.

Finally, imagine the problem certifying that gold is conflict-free.  I understand the gold supply chain is in a total uproar, led by the jewelry business.  Imagine how many places gold is used in electronics!!

Hope this helps

Denny Fritz.