TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Steve Mikell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Mikell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:43:27 -0400
Blair,

 These customers, are they asking because of government contracts, or other? In the old days, we dealt with such questions by asking if these were to be CDRL items, and to submit a formal request through the program office for a quote. Once you take several items from each part class and work your way back to the source materials, you may find that you are dealing in millions of individual materials being documented, which would have to be tied by lot numbers to your specific product. Assuming even the most basic charges, over the life of the product, that contract should run into the billions and cure unemployment in the USA. And that would only include materials contained in the actual product. If we include process chemical and tools, ... well..... OUCH.

 My bosses were always willing to entertain any customer request. They priced everything to make money. We could make good money shipping product or shipping paper, didn't matter. Oh, and don't forget to ask if you will be paid a your standard fee for non-product quotes.

 Ask for a DD Form 1423-1 on each specific part number they want certified. You will notice that price/cost is a basic part of a CDRL.

Steve Mikell