TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:46:03 +0100
Users of early SMT solder pastes will remember something similar, the paste
would not reflow. Actually it had and probably your pipe too!
The solder powder had melted but like M&Ms (Smarties in UK), the solder had
melted inside the coating on each sphere.
In those days the powder was more oxidized than now, and fluxes were not as
effective or persistent as now. So with the soak profiles required by the
inefficient reflow ovens of the time (in a brilliant marketing stroke the
oven guys used to say the soak was for the paste to activate) the powder
would actually be processed into hollow ceramic spheres with metal fillers.

Regards

Mike Fenner
Bonding Services & Products
T: +44 [0] 1865 522 663 E: [log in to unmask]