TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2012 10:01:12 -0500
Hi Mickey,

On occasion heavy plating can cause a tendency for interconnect
separation in HDI applications. The barrel of the hole becomes so strong
and rigid that it does not flex during thermal excursions associated
with assembly. This rigidness causes more stress to the outer layer,
layers 2/3 and N-1/N-2, internal interconnections. If the
interconnections are weak then you can get a separation.

This is rare but it can occur.

We have found that .0012" is the ideal thickness. More or less than
.0012" is a reliability liability.

Sincerely,

Paul Reid
Program Coordinator