TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:31:01 -0500
I had to qualify this for a design using MEMS sensors. In fact, I had to qualify the entire line and characterize all of the shock and vibration the sensors would see, including at the pick and place machine, and even when the device was packaged and shipped.
I used a Bluetooth 3-axis accelerometer and a receiver. The receiver relayed all of the signals into a PC to chart the shock/vibration, very similar to profiling temperature.
I don't remember the name of the system I used, but if you google up Bluetooth, 3-axis accelerometer, you can find quite a few systems. You can place the device on a carrier CCA and run it right through the wash. The signal is picked up on the receiver and you can download it into a PC. The receiver needs to be within a certain distance from the accelerometer, however. The system I used required it be kept within 150 ft. There are also self recording systems that save the data into a small memory stick so you can download the data, eliminating the receiver.