TECHNET Archives

March 2012

Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:41:02 -0700
I'm looking for input on the following plating defect.

I observe a plating void that occurs on a Cu plated feature with ENIG finish.    The void goes down to the base material.  The defect is typically .002 diameter.  The feature size is .010 across.  The parts run on a manual plating line and hang on a small plating rack.

The plating engineer believes the root cause of the void is a bubble on the part during plating.  The action plan includes implementing stronger vibration on the part in the plating bath.

I have two questions.
1.  How much vibration is typically needed to avoid developing a bubble on a part during plating?
2.  For this plating void defect, is it possible that Ni corrosion or other reliability concerns would eventually develop if defective parts escaped?

Thank you,

Mark Julstrom