TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:15:55 -0500
Amol,
Carl brings up some good points. I am also evaluating SPI systems. I believe you are correct, only repeatability testing is required for conveyorized or hand-loaded systems. However, many of the new SPI machines do have the capability of communicating with the printer upstream and autocorrecting it, provided the printer has the same capability.
Even if your current printer does not have this capability, it may be important in the future. If you do intend for the two machines to communicate and autoadjust, then the reproducibility becomes a required factor in the gauge R&R DOE.
My DOE also includes testing at both x and y directions, and that is a good idea because it determines the best print position for the best repeatability.
I am currently leaning towards the laser SPIs like Parmi, rather than camera systems. It appears that the laser systems can screen the entire CCA to pick up paste smudges outside of the standard targets (printed pads), and the laser systems also have better smallest feature detection capabilities, which are extremely important for inspection of paste deposits with Type 4, 5, or smaller grain sizes for 0201, 00105, and flipchip deposits. To get the same feature discrimination with a camera system, you need at least a 6 megapixel camera, and then the cost gets really spendy. The laser systems also continually scan the z-axis of the surface location of the PWB for more accurate brick height readings.