TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:09:27 -0700
Jack,
Via farms will be a nightmare until you work out the bugs.
You need to figure out the density, diameter, aspect ratio, etc.
We use lots of them and have worked over the numbers enough to find small enough vias so as not to have solder flow through issues but acceptable plating.
This is the one time I really appreciate lead free (doesn't flow as freely as SnPb).
As George stated there is a combination of hole size and stencil development you will need to go through with your assembly to optimize the process enough to make it all good.
My suggestion would be to avoid fill and use size and stencil if you can on high layer count or extreme temp boards.
Unless you get a real good CTE match, risk of delam is a definite consideration.
Talk to you assembler and fabricator prior to the design, see where they can help you.
Good luck,
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+
Manager – PCB Design