TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:37:05 -0700
The overplating of vias in a thermal via farm is a bad idea. We've
seen a lot more incidence of delam when doing it that way. It was a
frequent issue when using older more expansive (obsolete) fill
materials with higher volatile content (not saying CB100 but you do
the math). It's not as big an issue with the newer fills that have
closer CTE match to the pwb.  Still, capping the vias gives the fill
something to press upward on in unison. It can overcome the outlayer
adhesion to the underlying laminate and blister. Put that many vias
in close proximity and it makes a pretty good ram.

I'm sure I've pix around here but it's older issue. Changed our
design rule and it's died down as an issue. As a rule only overplated
filled vias now where theres a socket or probe contact required on the via.