TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:42:25 +0100
Mr Trikeman,
we have in fact tested the idea a number of times and we mean that  there
are essential benefits:

- you need no solder mask
- you can create extremly small dots, < 50um
- No Lead of course
- you need no cleaning processes
- can be applied on 'any' surface
- cure at << solder temp
- thermal and mechanical stress resistivity better

I don't think I remembert all plus'es

On the negative side:

- Customers do not accept 'glueing' , as some use to say
- much higher repair cost
- thermal conductivity not as good as pure metal (solder alloys)
- for super large/super dense boards, the yield was not acceptable
- I remember there  were some more negatives, but I don't remember

So, the positive and negative aspects are about fifty/fifty, and that was
enough for the pennymen to say 'no' for the 'glue' to step in.

Inge

PS. One more negative came to my mind: can be applied to 'any' surface,
that means boards and substrates. However, not likewise for many
components, which had contaminations in the micro size. Dirt that resulted
in poor contact with glue, was no problem at all with wave soldering.

Hope this does not help

Inge