TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2012 16:02:34 -0500
Ioan,

Definition of a Polarized Component:

  A component with an orientation indicator.

I would suggest that a DPAK cannot reasonable be oriented incorrectly as
there is no rotational position that matches leads to land patterns.  After
writing loads of software that deals with component orientation logic I have
decided:

Forget about Cathodes, Anodes, Pin 1 and all such rubbish. Only one concept
is required and that is an "Orientation Mark".

The "Opportunity" I see is for the correct alignment of a part orientation
mark to the PCB orientation mark and that is hit or miss. So I see only 1
opportunity. Though, I can see parts without an orientation being "Easier"
to get right which implies another set of issues.

One interesting question is how does one weigh the "Defect" of getting a
reel loaded incorrectly? That one error propagates into a huge number of
secondary defects. Are 1000 boards each with 10 diodes positioned
incorrectly a single reel loading defect or 10,000 placement defects?  :-(

Bob K.