DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:45:06 -0500
When talking to your peers, you can use whatever you like to get the idea
across.
But when you work on a standard, you have to consider the big picture,
and keep in mind the fact that you probably won't be able to revise it
again for many years to come.
Its quite restrictive at times...

Anyway, I quite enjoy noticing how different groups of people evolve their
language as they work closely together.
My teenagers do it constantly, and adapt almost day to day with stuff I've
never even heard anywhere else.
Its creative, and once the group knows what you mean it helps get a point
across quickly
(which is the whole point of communication, right?)

Sometimes you don't even notice that it is happening at all,
and then you are shocked when you go to another company and try to explain
something,
to discover that they are using a whole different set of words for similar
things.

For example, right now in this office there has been a lot of talk about
"via farms" in the last few days.
(to describe arrays of heat-sinking vias buried into power pads)
I don't think you will find that phrase in any standard (?)

have a wondrimentally fantabulous day,

Jack

.