DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:22:50 -0700
7bit
From:
Tom Hausherr <[log in to unmask]>
All,

Our web-server crashed so you'll have to wait until it comes back on-line.
Nick Ban and our web team are hot on it.

Thanks for the fantastic feedback and excellent dialog. In the IPC world,
Jack Olson & Mike Buetow are correct that the term Footprint is the
component package dimensional data and Land Pattern is what the Footprint
solders to. The term "Land" is what the component lead attaches to. However,
no one uses the term "Land" because all the CAD vendors call it a "Pad".
It's what we deal with every day.

At IPC APEX "Designer's Day" I made an announcement -

"This is my last presentation... that I will ever give using Metric Only
dimensional data in my Power Point files. From now on I will always include
both Metric and Imperial dimensions side by side with Imperial being the
dominant number and (metric) secondary until there is clear evidence that
the industry has successfully transitioned. And I will always use the term
Footprint when referring to PCB library parts because that is the term most
widely used. And I will refer to Chip components using the EIA Imperial
names of 1206, 0805, 0603, 0402 until the component manufacturer's refer to
them using the IPC metric names 3216, 2012, 1608, 1005."

Some of you reported typos in the Power Point Presentation. I updated the
website last night -
http://www.pcblibraries.com/Forum/ipc-apex-expo-2012_topic6.html

The updates also affected the "Proportional Through-hole Padstacks" chart -
Proportional_Through-hole_Padstacks.pdf
<http://www.pcblibraries.com/Forum/uploads/1/Proportional_Through-hole_Padst
acks.pdf>  (you can still access this file on our server)

People have been asking me off-line to explain the Proportional Through-hole
Padstacks and I will post the explanation of the mathematical formulas here
(once the server is back on-line) -

http://www.PCBLibraries.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15
<http://www.PCBLibraries.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15&PID=60#60>
&PID=60#60

One more thing, PCB Libraries, Inc. is 6 weeks away from launching the 5th
generation IPC Calculator and after hearing your feedback we officially
named it "PCB Footprint Calculator". This is brand new "coded from scratch"
over the past 8 months and the Designer's Day Power Point Presentation is
the blueprint for the new tool. Example: The user can insert the component
dimensions in metric and then switch to mils and all the Footprint
dimensions are converted to 1 mil increments, the Footprint & Padstack names
are generated in Mil units. However, if you stay in metric units, the
Footprint (Land Pattern) dimensions and library name will be in Metric
Units. Example: you enter the component dimensions for a 3216 using metric
dimensions and when you switch to Mils the Footprint name automatically
changes to 1206 and all the Footprint dimensions are in 1 mil increments.
The new tool boosts many new features including rotation to create the IPC,
IEC or EIA Zero Component Orientation. Coming May 1, 2012 when the official
PCB Libraries.com website opens. This is a Free download without any
registration required, it will have regular updates that will have an
auto-update notification and it will come with the Texas Instruments
"Standard Parts" product line which includes over 35,000 TI part numbers.
It's our gift to the electronics industry. No strings attached.

Tom

Tom Hausherr

President

PCB Libraries, Inc.