DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:12:39 +0000
From:
James Head <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks Tom, very good.

All European schools and universities teach metric and that includes UK schools.  I was schooled in metric before starting my first job at a PCB fabricator where we received from customers, eighty percent of the time, thou (what you Americans would call "mil") for artworks and gerber data output from customer's PCB CAD systems, and a metric drawing for board dimensions and drill sizes that had been drawn up in a mechanical CAD system.  The other ten percent were predominantly all metric from European and Japanese companies.

To be honest it didn't matter one jolt to us as a fabricator what the customer supplied as the very expensive CAM software dealt with it well and it wasn't too difficult to convert between the two in your head after a couple of weeks.

In my  next job for Toshiba I used metric everywhere and also since.  It's not too difficult to use metric figures of 2.54, 5.08 etc. though with a grid step-size of 0.01 for feature sizes.

The fabricators I use nowadays all work in metric predominantly but again are happy to receive any data metric or imperial and happy to speak to customers in both systems.

On slides 26 and 27:

The only way to tell the difference between an imperial padstack in thou and a metric padstack in millimetres appears to be the person's common sense when looking at the numbers.  Oh dear.  In my experience common-sense can be sometimes lacking - and I certainly include myself sometimes in this category!

Perhaps a "l" suffix at the end of the padstack name to indicate imperial values (i.e.  ludite?) ;-)

On slides 33 and 34 the padstack name column seems to show some metric padstack names?

I use the IPC naming for landpatterns using metric sizes, i.e. 3216, 2012, 1608.  Again it's not too difficult to memorise both sets of metric and imperial sizes.  For an attribute for a part, where it appears on a BOM report though I use both sizes and am specific about which is which, for example: "EIA 1206, Metric 3212".

On mounting holes I created a number of non-part specific footprints in a library that can be reused that was based upon the screw and boss being used by the mechanical engineer so that we could work together and re-use successful boss/screw combinations and keep the number of screw/washer hardware parts to a minimum whilst I have a footprint that can be reused that includes relevant keep-out areas for washer/screw hardware and plastic boss on the bottom side of the board.  E.g.:

PCBMOUNT_H320_SCRW550_BOSS600-PLASTIC
Hole size is 3.2 mm, screw diameter is 5.5 mm, boss underneath is 6 mm, plastic.

I did start my own padstack naming convention here at Crowcon but when I saw you'd created one I changed my library over to use that instead as a single IPC standard that everyone should be encouraged to use is going to be better in the long run than anything else, and the sooner its adopted the easier it'll be.

Mine, also metric based, went like this:

<SHAPE><PAD WIDTH>X<PAD LENGTH>P<DRILL_SIZE>-<DRILL TYPE>

<SHAPE>
BULLET Bullet
DOGBONERECT Dog-bone
OCT Octagon
OVAL	Oval
RECT	Rectangle
RND	Round
RNDRECT	Rectangle with rounded corners
RNDSQR	Square with rounded corners
SQR	Square
TP	Test Point (round)
TPS	Test Point (square)
VIA-MICROVIA	Via (laser drilled micro-via)
VIA	Via (drilled)

e.g.

RND200P140D-PTH being a round pad 2 mm with a 1.4 mm plated drill
RECT130X350P being a rectangle 1.3 mm x 3.5 mm

I ended up finding your pad stack naming convention a bit more versatile with the exclusions and modifiers you'd created, in that I could name pads more specifically such as:

r1135_780r50h305o160xc340zc340

This is a rounded rectangle pad on the top layer with a round pad through the hole, and drill, suitable for the thermal tab of a TO-220 transistor which can be done with a single pad in Pulsonix and named easily with your standard, which I hope I've interpreted correctly - thanks.

Regards,

James

James Head BEng CID+ MIIE MIET
Senior PCB CAD Engineer