DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 20:59:28 -0400
7bit
From:
Wow Tom, you know, it never struck me that way.  To me they're  synonymous.
 I just think of them as footprints and if you call it a Land  Pattern, I
still think "footprint".

Many of the assembly people I talk with refer to the land pattern as a
footprint.  And I've seen data sheets refer to them both  ways.  Sometimes in
the same data sheet.

Most of the early CAE/CAD programs referred to a footprint and I think
that's what stuck with all us.  In Altium, the calculator is still a
"Footprint Wizard".  In PADS, they're called "Footprints".  Don't know  about some of
the others, but I'll bet they're mostly called "Footprints".

Is there a distinction between "Footprint" and "Land Pattern"?
Cherie

In a message dated 3/19/2012 4:49:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,