TECHNET Archives

February 2012

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:04:46 -0500
Hi Howard,

I agree with Dave but you can characterize your oven with the DataPaq. And
if you are on a tight budget you can verify your Datapaq, before you have it
calibrated.

Put the thermal couple in a bead of solder. Then heat the solder with an air
rework station or on a hot plate. Watch for the solder to change phase.
And verify that the thermal couple reads 183C or 361F. Put the thermal
couple in boiling water for 100C or 212F. Compare the thermal couple reading
at room temperature. If the instrument tacks well at these readings it
should work okay for your needs.

Next, mount thermal couples across a large wide board and measure the top
air and bottom air temps through the oven.

Then, mount thermal couples under a standard part (those QFPs for example)
and place them across large wide board an measure the top and bottom side
variation.

Finally, mount the loaded couples in a diagonal so you can monitor the
response as the zones are loaded. Do the parts at the front get hotter than
the parts at the back, compared to the results from the previous test.

This should give you confidence or reason to reject the oven for your
applications.

Guy