TECHNET Archives

February 2012

From:
Gerald Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:49:21 -0500
February 10, 2012

The SAE International has developed, and is developing, new standards to
help deal with this issue.  SAE AS5553 revision original has been issued
and provides counterfeit electronic part risk mitigation requirements
pertaining to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).  Revision A is
under development.  A companion standard, SAE AS6081 is being developed
to provide counterfeit electronic part risk mitigation requirements
applicable to Open Market distributors.  Revision A of AS5553 and
revision original of AS6081 are targeted for release in 2012.  Both of
these documents provide robust counterfeit electronic part risk
mitigation requirements that are, for the most part, consistent with the
risk mitigation processes included in the National Defense Authorization
Act (NDAA)of FY 2012, Article 818.  The expectation is that Open Market
distributors will eventually become certified to SAE AS6081, and if
folks only buy parts from Open Market distributors that are known to
meet AS6081 requirements, this should significantly lower the risk of
use of a counterfeit electronic part.