TECHNET Archives

February 2012

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2012 19:24:33 -0500
Hi,

I was reading through the Ellis book on cleaning and I noticed adding IPA to
water reduces surface tension.

Neat, I figure that is a simple way to improve a rinse. I was planning on
final rinse with distilled water so I don't need to bother with blow off as
much.

Just for fun I looked into various grades and it looks like dissolved
materials is about .005% or 39mg / Liter. (1 L = 780gram)

Hmmmm, That sounds rather high compared to distilled water. I mean Lake
Michigan is 170 mg/L I think.

    (See:
http://www.aquapurefilters.com/contaminants/163/total-dissolved-solids.html)

No one would think twice about dipping a cleaning swap into IPA to clean a
board. But Lake Michigan water? Holy Cow!

Did I find the wrong specs on the IPA?

Bob K.