TECHNET Archives

February 2012

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:52:07 +0200
In a former life, before prefilled syringes became commonly available, I
used to fill 3 ml and 5 ml syringes for the Swiss watch industry and
avoiding air bubbles was a pain. Fig 28.3 of a well-known reference book
shows a photo of one such. How did I do it? The bulk material came in a
Semco cartridge and I made a stainless steel adapter to screw into it
with a Luer Lock at t'other end. The cartridge and syringe were held
vertically with the syringe on top. I lubricated a neoprene piston with
vaseline, along with some fine Teflon insulated wire which I pushed down
into the bottom of the syringe. Gently applying some air pressure into
the cartridge, the paste would rise into the syringe, pushing the
residual air up. This escaped past the piston, along the wire, which I
pulled out as soon as the paste tried to escape, allowing the paste to
push the piston up. We put only a few g of paste into a syringe because
the quantity dispensed per shot was so tiny (typically about 5-15
particles of solder) that one syringe would last for nearly ever. What
we did find is that the hundreds of repeated air-pressure shocks caused
the paste to sinter, causing blocking in the needle and the Luer Lock
hole and the syringe had to be discarded; this is why the syringe in the
photo is only about a quarter full, with the possibility of discarding
it with only about 1 g of paste left in it. Sintering started after
about 500 pulses using a 21 G needle, fewer with finer ones. Another
point is that the syringe adapter from the dispenser had a positive
lock; the cheap plastic ones with an O-ring were unsuitable as the
air-tightness could not be guaranteed with the tolerances of the ID of
the syringes. With only picolitres of air per pulse, it all had to be
used to push the paste out of the syringe. This was a profitable
business; after I developed the filling process, I had a girl doing it
and we had a 120% markup on paste, syringes etc. and labour.

This is no help to your problem unless you want to fill your own
syringes. The syringes with air bubbles are useless and should be
returned to your supplier, along with a flea in his ear. IMHO, there is
no way of eliminating tiny air bubbles, once you have them. Even with a
high vacuum, the bubbles would not be pulled out and you would lose the
volatiles in the flux.

FWIW

Brian