TECHNET Archives

February 2012

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:15:51 +0100
Hi Luigi,
I  agree about ghosts. I have thought so too many a times. In this case,
the ghost can be bustered by having a look in Wassink, I quote:

The cause of solder balls can be
(i) Incorrec distribution of flux, resulting from maladjusment of fluxer or
transporting jigs, or from board material that id badly wetted by flux.
(ii)oxidation of solder at the position where the board loses contact with
the solder bath or of wave (also a fluxing faultl).
(iii)contamination of the solder.
(iiii) incorrect pre-drying of the solder paste
(v)  use of poor quality of the solder paste.

Another way to find the ghost is to investigate the process window. Tt
consists of so many parameters, that I prefer to send the troubleshooting
map to you offline instead.

Then we can continue the discussion.

Before I close, I can tell you that we have seen similar issues and I
recall that we saw such swarms of microballs only in the VP line. When the
subject is passing the firsr zone too fast, volatiles are still within the
paste. When in the lower part, the instant heat makes the slurry boil and
before the solder has liquidified, a number of solder particles escaped and
were spread around, more or less. The size variation mirrors the paste's
nature namely solder particles from nn um  to xx um.

The map will come in minutes, got to find it first..

Inge

-