IPC-600-6012 Archives

February 2012

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Dieffenbacher, William C (US SSA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:59:34 -0500
Wendi,

I think there needs to be some limits on this condition.  I'm worried about long term reliability.  Organic material between the 2 copper layers will expand and may start a crack propagating between the 2 layers.  For most vias this may not be a problem since the pad may be very large or connected to a trace that is not likely to fail.  However, BGA pads are not large and if the surface disconnects from the via then we will have a problem.

Bill