TECHNET Archives

January 2012

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 16:51:38 +0200
Sorry, Rex, if it were in the public domain, the IPC cannot hold the
copyright or, if the IPC hold the copyright, then it is certainly not in
the public domain. You can't have your cake and eat it. The only way a
paper can be in the public domain is if the authors and their employers
make a public written statement to this effect. The only way the IPC
could hold the copyright is if the authors and their employers have
collectively assigned it by means of a contract. Whether the employers
or authors or both collectively depend on the contract of employment or,
in individual cases, any waivers.

As an example of IP, about 50 years ago, I made my first major
invention. My contract stated that all intellectual property belonged to
my employer. After negotiation, I obtained a waiver and I patented the
idea myself but the waiver contained a clause that the employer could
exploit the patent without payment of royalties but I received royalties
from three other companies that exploited the idea. The reasoning behind
this generous waiver was because it was very accessory to the employer's
core business, used internally, and they did not want to exploit the
idea themselves externally.

Brian