TECHNET Archives

January 2012

From:
"Richard D. Krug" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Richard D. Krug
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:37:17 -0500
You probably need to perform a gage R&R to know whether the scale is going to be usable for this experiment.  If 3 people could measure the same 5 serialized samples 5 times, in randomized order of samples each time measured and randomized sequence of people to measure, you could determine the minimum difference in weight the scale can discern.

The rule of thumb is you need resolution 4x the difference you expect to measure, and is preferred to be 10x the difference expected.

Dick Krug, CSSBB, CSMTPE
SMT Process Engineer
Sparton Corporation
30167 Power Line Road