TECHNET Archives

January 2012

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:52:59 +0100
Jian,

it depends...very much depends in this case...on a number of conditions,
such as

a. The size and the shape of the iron tip
b. The used solder wire gauge and the necessary amount of solder.
c. The used temperature of the tip
d. The used flux
e. The size of the pads
f. The quality of the finish (wetting angle)
g. The surface cleanliness of the board
h. The type of components
i.  and more conditions that I don't see instantly
j. and of course the operator's skill
k. just came to think or maximum system voltages and type of media (RF, LF,
DC ..)

I've seen our guys solder 10 mil space without any problems, and I've also
rejected boards with near-shortage solder joints. In my opinion, there is
only one way to give answer: run a test series, and freeze every operator
sequence if the result is good. If not, adjust the parameters one by one
until you can safely repeat the processs.

It's amazing how separating a 5 to 10 mil space can be if all parameters of
the board are OK, and vice versa, it can be a hell to avoid bridging.

Hope you got inspiration to go on with your process evaluation. Soldering
is an ART !

Inge