TECHNET Archives

January 2012

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:49:56 -0600
Hi Joyce - If you pull a copy of the IPC 7095 standard, it has some of the
information you are looking for. We just published our big study on BGA
voids at the October SMTAI conference. Pull a copy of the paper "The Last
Will and Testament of the BGA Void" for tin/lead joint reliability data.
You should also berate Bev as RIM, Indium, and Rockwell Collins are in the
final stages of the testing for the leadfree joint reliability version of
the ""The Last Will and Testament of the BGA Void" which we are going to
publish at the SMTA Toronto Conference in May if it gets accepted.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
01/26/2012 12:10 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] bga-csp voiding reference

I am getting old.  There is an good reference voids formation at BGA/CSP,
regarding the SMT reflow condition vs voids location within the solder
joints (near UBM, middle of the solder ball, or close to the bottom of the
copper pad, excessive flux, etc.) with all nice schematics, including via
in pad and dogbone design.  My brain is a Tofu now.  Any of the smart guys
and gals can lead me to the right paper?  Or any of the group members are
the author or co-authors of the paper?  Really appreciated (didn't even
recall author's name or affiliation... totally brain dead).  Many thanks
in advance.

Joyce Koo
Materials Researcher - Materials Interconnect Lab
Research In Motion Limited
Office: (519) 888-7465 79945
Mobile: (226) 220-4760

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from
your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this
transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be
unlawful.

For additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or