TECHNET Archives

January 2012

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:59:31 -0600
Hi, Joyce. You are absolutely correct.

Military aircraft, ground-based vehicles, missiles of all types, and even satellite electronics are updated with new guidance and control electronics very frequently. I myself have worked on many upgrade programs on torpedoes, older F-16 and F-18 aircraft, helicopters, the Advanced Lightweight Cruise Missiles such as CRMA and Harpoon, and many other programs. For several years I was contracted out to the government by a major military supplier and I worked on retrofits of ALL of the cockpit instrumentation and flight controls of certain fighters and bombers. We traveled to areas close to the hangars and lived temporarily in apartments, and by day we routinely put jets and other aircraft up on the equivalent of a very large dynamometer, with the wings stripped off of the fuselage. We then pulled out all of the old controls and instrumentation and replaced them with newer, and smaller and more advanced altimeters, ring laser gyros, wind speed indicators, radar units, flight control computer networks, and all the rest of the instrumentation required. Then the planes were fired and tested inside the hangars. The noise was incredible (large rolling steel doors vibrated off the tracks at one location!). These retrofits provided significant increases in maneuverability, reliability, reaction speeds, and greatly increased the life and fighting capability of the aircraft, and extended their useful life by 15 years or more, at a fraction of the cost of a new aircraft.