TECHNET Archives

January 2012

Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:53:39 -0800
Being an old audioplile one of the biggest problem with tube vs.
semiconductors is the output impedance. Tubes had a transformer with
proper impedance taps to match the speakers with maximum power being
delivered to the speakers while solid state amps had ultra low output
impedance ( a voltage source) damping speaker ringing. There are a
number of other contributing factors that affect sound quality but I had
a pair of non inductive 4 Ohm resistors  to match my Magnaplanar
Tymphany 1D speakers being driven by a Marantz solid state amps. The
sound was wonderful but when I moved to CA the 4 Ohm (250W) resistors
were lost and sound gained an edge. Oh well. For those of you that have
an original NSC Audio Handbook, look at the list of contributing
authors.

John Maxwell