TECHNET Archives

January 2012

From:
"Gumpert, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gumpert, Ben
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:20:07 -0500
Phil,

Matching the pad on the board to the part helps with alignment. The part pad may be slightly larger due to tolerance, but it might be slightly smaller too. Best to aim for nominal.

Of course you could argue that you should take advantage of the largest solder joint possible to improve reliability, so you could make the board match the max pads size per tolerance?

If you are concerned about thermal transfer, I can't imagine that you'd get that much better performance by opening up the pad; the size of the solder joint probably isn't the biggest barrier in your thermal path, right?

Ben