TECHNET Archives

January 2012

From:
"Woolley, Mark D. (Mark)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Woolley, Mark D. (Mark)
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:24:40 -0700
Let me add a bit more information on this issue.
1.	The material we are having issues with is Iteq IT-158.  We are
not seeing any issues with any of the other laminates we are using such
as Grace 	MTC-97.  The Iteq material has higher Tg, Td and pull
strength per specification than the Grace MTC-97 material.
2.	The pad layout is identical across the product line.  This
includes the distance to the edge of the panel.  The pads that are
lifting are on the 	outside of the laminate.  No internal
delaminations have been seen in the cross sections I have made. Internal
delamination si not suspected 	because the product operates when it is
connected back together.
3.	The reflow profile is for Pb-free soldering using SAC305 solder.
The peak temperatures, duration of the temperature and time above
liquidus is the 	same on all reflow profiles of similar products.

So I don't think the design is at fault, nor the processing at the
assembly house.  The pads are for 8-pin RJ-45 jacks using a standard
pattern.

I am seeing a ring of cleared copper on the PWB side of the pulled pad.
This is troubling me because I can think of no reason it should be there
unless the etchant was able to get beneath the copper pad.  I can post
an image if someone will be so good as to point me to the picture upload
page. (much appreciated).

mark
Mark Woolley |PTRL Laboratory | Avaya | 1300 West 120th Ave |
Westminster, CO 80234  USA |
Voice (Lab): (303) 538-2166 | email: [log in to unmask] |