TECHNET Archives

December 2011

From:
Larry Dzaugis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Larry Dzaugis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:36:12 -0600
One of the differences working for an OEM vs CEM is the ability to
match design and process. If I am using antique printers with some
known idiosycracies, I can put this into the stencel design. Good luck
to the CEM who got this later unless they started with the 1:1.
It is uncomfortable to have suppliers globally sourced, Open Standards
have made this possible.  It is best to have the CEM responible for
the details of the production process. Otherwise it is back to the old
Mil Std of how you do it rather than what it has to end up as. If you
give expilcit intructions that do not work, you will end up buying
some unexpected bad assemblies.
Fortunetly there are organizations like IPC and JEDEC working on
standardization over the industry. The days of strong, deeply talanted
companies with a wide variety compentancies providing guidance are
gone. Philips is nothing like it was in the 90's. GE provided the
drafting standards at that time and Martin Marieeta was the electronic
assembly standard. I much prefer the IPC610.