TECHNET Archives

December 2011

From:
Leif Laerum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Leif Laerum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:28:23 -0600
The below recommendation was posted on Technet. I did not keep the email and I can not remember who to give credit for it. Once implemented we dramatically reduced defects. My policy is to go with what I know. The component vendors are not right often enough with respect to manufactuing recommendations for me to trust them everytime.

> For QFNs in general, we make sure the land pattern sticks out enough
> to be able to touch a fine soldering tip to it and to provide
> additional paste to the pin pad joints -- I believe this is around 15
> mils. You have to keep the pin pad joints and ground pad joint
> separated with a solder mask dam. Make sure the soldermask is never on
> the ground pad on one side and off on the other (all off or all on so
> there's no teetering and consider solder mask registration specs).
> Don't do one large ground pad stencil aperture or the part floats on
> top of the solder bubble.

Leif Erik Laerum
Quality Assurance Manager
Texas Memory Systems