TECHNET Archives

December 2011

From:
"Gumpert, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gumpert, Ben
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2011 06:03:51 -0500
Michael,

An aggressive wash should remove any loose solder balls. If you are applying conformal coating, then you can be pretty sure that anything left will be entrapped, and therefore not an issue (as long as it isn't violating minimal electrical clearance.

If you aren't using conformal coating, you'll have to scratch your head a little more (or perform some testing) to determine if you think the solder balls are attached enough so they won't "become dislodged in the normal service environment."

Ben