TECHNET Archives

November 2011

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:39:54 -0500
My suggestion:

Ok, now remember I am a curmudgeon and I think 85% of assembly processes
dealing with QC and ESD are the result of low tech "Technicians" wanting to
play "Engineer". But, with that warning:

1.       Checking soldering irons for leakage and GND continuity makes sense
but any multi meter can do that fairly well.

2.       I like the old fashioned Weller WTCPT series where temperatures are
controlled by the tip types I purchase. No dials for operators to adjust. No
thermistors needed in the sensor. Switches and heaters eventually fail but
they are easily replaced. All heaters will fail but simple is better.

3.       For fine pitch hand soldering nothing is more important than a tube
of flux and a Weller 6966 heat gun. Getting one of these guns on a flexible
"Goose Neck" is a super time saver. You can also put the heat gun on a hoot
switch.

Does the minimal amount of tooling above require some ski8ll to use?
Absolutely yes. But getting more expensive equipment does not negate the
need for experience and skill. More advanced tools can help save some time
but this saving is insignificant unless you have to repeated rework tasks.

Bob K.