TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
Julie Silk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Julie Silk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:09:07 -0500
At Agilent, we strongly advocate for leaving on RMA flux residues from wire solder and not attempting to clean them.  We have a "tech notes" paper from 40 years ago explaining that RMA flux residues provide good SIR and long term reliability.  And that RMA residues that are cleaned with a spot-cleaning method are damaging, spreading residues over a large area of the board and under low clearance parts and lowering SIR.  In the field or in our factories, we don't have access to automated cleaning equipment to do a thorough job of cleaning.  I've found that only pretty harsh methods will thoroughly clean RMA residues, and I do believe that partially cleaned residues are more contaminating than undisturbed residues.  Our rules are:  Leave on RMA, no tacky flux residues allowed, if you remove it you have to remove all of it with an automated process as one of the steps, no liquid flux for hand-soldering (which only deactivates with the heat of soldering, which won't happen with point-to-point soldering).  The "leave on RMA flux" may not be satisfactory for military or aerospace, but for our products it works and has for decades.