TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:35:29 +0300
I agree that wire bonds in a cavity will weaken the bonds if the
ultrasound frequency creates a mechanical resonance. It may be a year or
two before the component actually fails, perhaps a shock finishing the
job. I also agree that encapsulated dies do not fail under the same
conditions. I've come across two other damage mechanisms:
1. glass-housed quartz crystals: the silver electrode parts company with
the crystal round the solder joint
2. very large multilayer ceramic capacitors: where the height exceeds
the quarter-wavelength of the ultrasound in the medium, I have seen
cleavage across the capacitor. This was insidious because the solder web
kept it visually and electrically intact, until a year or so later when
the top bit of the component fell off, losing quite a large slice of
microfarads.

Brian