TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:10:37 -0400
Dave,

If there were any cavity packages, such as mechanical relays, HYBRIDS,
CPU's, crystals, etc on the board they could indeed be susceptible to
possible mechanical damage caused by the ultrasonics.  I have observed the
results of individuals placing SEALED hybrids [cavity style packages] into
ultrasonic cleaners with devastating results to the wire bonds.  Placing the
same hybrids into the ultrasonic cleaner in an un-sealed state did not
affect the wire bonds [but prove out one's own process to be sure].

Conversely, if the devices are plastic encapsulated PEMs, with no internal
cavities, they are essentially immune from any reasonable ultrasonic
exposure that I can imagine.

   If there are cavities - tread with caution.
   No cavity, total encapsulation - typically safe!

My 10 cents

Steve Creswick