TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 07:21:04 -0500
Ahh, time for a history lesson.

Halides was a central figure in an early Greek tragedy, and it relates
back to an event during the Copper Era in civilization.  Halides was
reported to be a nasty and evil person, poisoning almost everyone and
everything around him.  He even irritated the Greek god Multicorides to
the extent that Multicorides cursed Halides that his evil would come out
in his sweat.  When Halides took his first bath after being cursed,
naturally done in an elegant copper tub, the water became so acidic that
it dissolved the tub and the collection of copper salts poisoned Halides.
He died unmourned.

It was the first recorded case of an acid bath going out of control.  It's
also why we today call soldering copper pipes as "sweat soldering".

Doug Pauls

Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
10/12/2011 06:20 AM