TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:44:29 -0400
IMHO, I wouldn't have silkscreen anywhere in the footprint.

As for following manufacturers guidelines, sometimes you can get led down a
path that just doesn't work. I followed the manufacturers guidelines for my
stencil on a 3-row QFN to the letter one time, stencil thickness that they
recommended, and including the checker board pattern they recommended for
the thermal pad. The part teeter-tottered on the thermal pad with bridges on
one side and opens on the other. After progressively tweeking things (two
stencils later) I finally had one that worked...

Sometimes these parts just get thrown over the wall and it's your problem to
figure out how to put 'em on the boards.

Steve