TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:27:13 -0500
Hi Terry - ok, before you send everyone into cardiac arrest, let's provide
the complete response. The tin whiskers found on SAC solder joints have
been associated with significant levels of ionic contaminates. The
Celestica/BAE paper is a SERDP funding project looking at the role of
ionics and tin whiskers.  More data will be published in FY12 on this
data. The report Terry listed was a paper in the  2011 SMTA/IPC Cleaning
and Coating conference proceedings.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Terry Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
10/29/2011 09:10 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Terry Munson    <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Whiskers from Immersion Tin Finish?

We have found whiskers from the sac 405 and 305 solders. And Celestica
published a paper on there experiments last year showing whiskers on
solder joints as well.

Terry Munson
Foresite
765-457-8095

http://www.atotech.com/data/publications/pcb/Immersion_Tin-Kinetics_of_Whisker_growth.pdf

http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
> For additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask]
or 847-615-7100 ext.2815

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from
your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this
transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be
unlawful.