TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
Phil Kinner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phil Kinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:41:20 +0100
Wayne,

Solithane 113 is a pre-polymer as stated on the TDS
http://www.spolymers.com/pdf/Solithane_113.pdf

This material will cure slowly in the presence of moisture from the
ambient humidity.  Depending upon your factory set-up, you may see
variations in the humidity (lower than in the summer?), which coupled with
a greater thickness than usual would retard the cure time.  I am going to
go out on a limb since the manufacturer recommends the use of either amine
or polyol curatives that this material is not catalysed an so the moisture
cure reaction will be very slow.

If you use this material as a 2K system, then you need to ensure the mix
ratio, since this determines the final film properties, and the hardness
can range from A15 to D60 (which is a huge range).  The Tg of the coating
will also vary considerably over this range, which may result in you
having a softer film than you are used to, lower Tg etc, so your coating
may be 'stickier' than you are used to.

Feel free to share more details about your process if you like, I'll
assume you have been using this coating for a while and so, unless you
have changed your ESD bags recently, I'd bet something in your process has
changed, leading to the appearance of this 'new'issue.

Best Regards,

Phil.

+44 7703 795422