TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2011 16:56:02 -0500
Doug,

You might look into something like TUG - Teradyne Users Group and see if someone there might know. Typically voltages used are .5 volts or less, to keep from turning on diode junctions in circuit. Current used is enough to make the measurements, and not much more. Generally the component under test is inserted into the feedback loop of an operational amplifier configuration in the test system and the response is evaluated.

Testing things like zeners gets a bit trickier, since in many cases you can't apply enough voltage to get to the zener breakdown without supplying current to the circuit.

Also consider that for the most part in-circuit testing is designed to detect defects, not measure performance. A properly designed ICT program will consider the potential failure modes - missing components, wrong value, open connections, shorts, etc. and test to detect possible defects, rather than test for functional performance.

Blair