TECHNET Archives

October 2011

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:40:28 -0400
Pete,

  Very good points, thank you.

 I would add this through:

  Two job functions that are important to the defining of PCB design rules (and data) are Pick and Place (PnP) operators and PCB rework operator. But, the people in these positions are typically incapable of translating their work experience into meaningful requirements that can be passed into engineering disciplines. Worse yet many PCB designers have never even seen paste applied to a board much less have they pasted boards themselves. Same goes for PnP operation, how many PCB designers have operated a PnP machine for 2 weeks? How many for 2 minutes?

 Enter the role of management. One would hope a manager (as in VP of Engineering) could facilitate this transfer of information and thus reduce engineering level of effort and costs all while improving product quality. But it does rarely happens. Why? The reason is most engineering managers have almost zero skills with the software, data and assembly processes. They lack the ability to effect change into the various stages of engineering activities. Most of the folks who are VP of Eng. Are only in that position because they have been with the company a long time, that is often a negative indicator of ability.

 I am also a bit grumpy about this. It destroys otherwise perfectly good companies not to mention all the Bad Karma generated.

 So, how can a lowly PCB designer do a VP of Engineering job? One of two ways, either it is enforced by power coming down from above or the PCB designer can gain the trust and support of the other folks in other departments. (Good luck on either solution.)

If a company can't change in a marketplace defined by "Innovate or Die" then the outlook is not good. This goes double for the engineering departments.

 I am open to ideas.

Bob K.