TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:46:54 +0100
This might sound a bit weak, but probably yes.
As we allow those alloys to be used and have many suppliers of lead free HASL pcbs it is probable. We have been doing so since at least 1 year prior to RoHS day.
However it would take a lot of work to categorically confirm that combination has been used.

There might be a metallurgist on the forum who can pass an opinion.
I raised the permit to allow all these finishes under the banner of Lead free HASL on our drawings after a meeting at NPL where a discussion took place about the differences in SN100C/SACX/SAC/SnCu finishes. A metallurgist and joint expert made a comment along the lines that it would be difficult to determine any difference in behaviour or reliability in joints made on the different HASL finishes.
The finish creates a solderable surface, the alloy on the pcb represents a small proportion of the metal used in the joint so there should be no discernable difference.

If you had a solderability issue in your initial work I would suspect something other than the alloy combination.

Sorry I cannot be definitive about the use of the combination.

Regards
Rex